What is history? This classroom poster reminds students of how historical accounts are built:
• History is an account of the past.
• Accounts differ depending on one's perspective.
• We rely on evidence to construct accounts of the past.
• We must question the reliability of each piece of evidence.
• Any single piece of evidence is insufficient to build a plausible account.
The file is designed to be printed on 18" by 24" paper.
[Posters updated on 11/13/17.]
Image: Photo of the Civil Rights March on Washington taken August 28, 1963. From the National Archives.